Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Organza Flower Details

I've been wearing the embellished tweed skirt from the previous post for about a year now and still am happy with how the embellishing turned out.  So I thought I'd share what I did in greater detail.  Now that so many sweaters and jackets are being embellished with these flower designs, this might inspire someone to try it elsewhere.  I've always liked items with some feminine embellishment, lace, some glitter, ruffles, etc.  But my everyday style is definitely more classic sportswear so how on earth does embellishment fit in without looking too crafty?  This skirt was my attempt to marry those two sensibilities together.

skirt front
I searched for flower tutorials but didn't want heavy roses or yo yo flowers for a trim.  I needed somehing flatter and more deconstructed.  I found Calamity Kin's great blog, Calamity Kim blog,  with wonderful instructions for folded and twisted flowers.  I used silk organza pieces from my stash and made several different size flowers.  Then I unraveled 11/2" squares of the tweed for flower centers.  Sewed seed beads for some sparkle in the center.  I connected the flower sections with bias strips,  cut 3/4" from dark brown organza with some branching sections and hand stitiched that wth large stitches to emphasize the branch like feeling.  I liked the flowing movement around the skirt bottom and kept it well below my seat in the back.   Now I'd like to do something similar on a few RTW cardigans that I have.   Embellishing with these flowers won't reduce my huge stash substantially but will give me some easy handwork while enjoying some of the fall TV season.

skirt back

3 comments:

  1. That is really pretty. You got it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm interested in making flower embellishments on something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I love every single post of yours but this skirt is THE BOMB. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fluid look of the branch and the beauty of the flowers. Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."