Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Simplicty 3884, the 1st JAM in Progress

Simplicity 3884

Last week of January and I'm finishing up my first Jacket of the Month (JAM) for 2011.  I enjoy reading the Stitcher's Guild discussion and seeing all the jackets which are being sewn.

My first one presented me with a challenge when I was sewing it at the sewing retreat last weekend.  The jacket pattern is a raglan sleeve pattern and unlined.  I wanted a lined pattern.  I cut out a lining using all the pattern pieces.  I figured I would use the front and back facings from the pattern and sew the lining directly to them.   Whoops, not really going to work.  That idea works nicely on a set in sleeve unlined jacket.  But not so nicely on a raglan sleeve jacket with all those extra seams at the shoulder and neckline.



Attempted lining pieces
Whoops, facings not designed for that lining!

So rather than reinvent the wheel at this stage, I'll go along with Simplicity's plan.  I'm binding the seams with silk dupioni and will wear it as a lightweight unlined jacket.  If I make it again, perhaps I'll do the stitch and flip technique or simply underline the whole jacket in Ambiance to have that cool lining feeling.

1 comment:

  1. That will be gorgeous when finished. I just posted my first JAM. On to #2!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."