Thursday, October 27, 2011

Taking The Measure of Things

I love this pink plastic measuring tape.  Not because I necessarily like my measurements with it  Unlike some mirrors which have flattering, distorted "lean" reflections, this measuring tape doesn't lie to me.   What I do love about it is that I can't pick up a wrong end.  Both ends of this measuring tape have a 1" start point so no matter which end you grab, you're at 1".  Yes, it's the simple things in life that make me happy:-) 




When I saw this beautiful Japanese cotton fabric I just had to have it for my sewing room.  I wanted a new ironing board cover and this pink black graphic design appealed to me.  The pattern is an old Butterick pattern,  OOP 5506, on top of an old Ikea wool blanket.  The Japanese cottons have such a lovely smooth texture, perfect for ironing.  Now I'm hoarding the remaining fabric from my two yard piece to decide what other fabric accessories I need in my sewing space.  




It feels good to be in my sewing room today.  I've had an active social life this past week which is a delight....but I also love my alone and creative time.  


This past weekend was my hometown visit.  Five of us got together for a cheeseburger on Friday night then seven of us met for lunch followed by a trip to the local candy/ ice cream store in town for the last five diehards.  Lots of time talking about our common past years together and also where we are today.  Retirement, moves, grown children, new grandchildren, jobs or loss of jobs, health, and much care for one another.  I even had the unexpected pleasure of running into a former neighbor who still lives two houses away from my childhood home.  She's been in the same house for 52 years and filled me in on decades of history in about 20 minutes.  What a hoot and what a memory!  Hope you have some long time friends in your life to remind you of your past antics.  New friends are wonderful but old friends are special and fewer each year.  Thank goodness I get to see some of mine annually.



Ending the day at the counter for ice cream

8 comments:

  1. Finally! I couldn't come visit because I kept getting a warning about malware every time :O( I tried to come to your blog... Today nadda, I got right here with no warning! Woohoo.. I LOVE LOVE that ironing board cover fabric! Did you get that recently and if so can I ask where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to get together with old friends.
    What wonderful fabric on your ironing board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great fabric, particularly for an ironing board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pink tape would make me happy too! Love it! Don't the years pass all too quickly? We just celebrated our 40th anniversary, and really, I don't even feel like I should be 40 years old yet! Well, now and then my body lets met know, but my heart is still 20!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new ironing board cover! The fabric is definitely cool. I'd be smiling every time I noticed it. A good thing, when one is ironing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful fabric! Great idea to use it for your ironing board, where you will get to see it all the time. It wouldn't be QUITE the same as a blouse (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! Your blog is new to me, but I'm so happy that you let me know you are out here! I SO love that pink ironing board fabric! and your lace skirt...oh, my, the lace skirt...and a most fabulous ready to wear blue blouse! I have to look for a pattern that will come close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a cute ironing board cover!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."