Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lightweight Sewing and MMM Days 11 and 12

Jalie 2788 Twist top
After an early morning trip to the dogpark in a Jalie 2788 twist top it was another day of heavy gardening at our home yesterday. Trust me, dear readers, my garden grubbies are just as awful as yours and the only thing saving you from having to view my outfit is that I did not sew any part of it.  




When we finally did quit the hard labor I was able to tackle a small sewing project.  This is another silk chiffon poncho in colors that should work very well for me this summer.  


Here's the previous post which explains how to sew one for yourself. inspired by RTW blouse poncho


When I serge a rolled edge on silk chiffon, I use water soluble stabilizer to keep the thread attached to the fabric....then soak it out afterwards before assembling the two panels.
soaking away the stabilizer

rolled edge with Sulky stabilizer
Our treat for hours more of digging, mulching, chopping and planting was dinner at a local diner that was featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.   Diner, Drive-ins and Dives Please be aware that even looking at the recipes on the site might raise your choloesterol and Body Mass Index overnight.  Mr. Lucky and I thoroughly enjoyed the decadent sandwiches at The Broadway Diner and then made up for that indulgence with a trip to the farmer's market for fresh veges this morning.  Here I am dropping off books at the free bookstore in Baltimore before we head to the market. I'm wearing a lightweight polarfleece topper   poncho directions  Since there was an early morning chill....or perhaps my blood has just thinned from winters in Florida.  OK, MMM posting done for a dozen days in May.  Almost half way there.....

13 comments:

  1. Days 11 and 12 look great to me! The kind of low-key, happy days that strung together make a delightful contented Spring.
    The silk poncho is perfect for hot, muggy Southern Summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. Hard to believe those muggy days will arrive when it's as lovely as this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Wow, your silk chiffon poncho is absolutely stunning! And you are doing really well with MMM :) I just love your cheerful yellow poncho, the perfect cover-up for a chilly morning
    I agree with you, taking the photos is definitely the most challenging part of the whole thing!
    Thanks so much for the lovely comment on my dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, your fabulous, frequent photos are some of what inspired me to take on this challenge. Now I more than ever respect not just your lovely sewing but the time consuming photos and posting. Bravo to you. I can do this for a month but that's my limit.

      Delete
  3. I like those little lightweight cover-ups. Perfect for a chilly restaurant, even in summer. Peggy Sagers showcased them on one of her webcasts. And, they are so much in style and all over the stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing them in stores, also and feel a little self-satisfied glow when I look at the prices. I haven't watched any of Peggy's webcasts yet so will check them out.

      Delete
  4. I just need to know where your farmer's market it. I'm in the area and in need of fresh stuff.
    And a little humor - when I first looked at your bowl with the fabric soaking I thought it was a bowl of mussels and you were going to share the recipe.
    I must be hungry. ;-) But serious about the market location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BeeBee, you are so right, it does look like mussels, which I love!! Maybe the rising sea levels means I can harvest them in my backyard soon. I'm in Baltimore and we go to a few farmer's markets. Yesterday it was the Saturday one http://www.32ndstreetmarket.org/ at 32nd St. and Barclay, not far from Union memorial Hospital. I've not been to the big one downtown on Sunday mornings but will check it out sometime later this summer. I hear it's wonderful but have been warned to go early to make sure to get what you want and before the crowds become overwhelming.

      Delete
  5. You look wonderful, as always.
    I must remember your tip about the rolled edge - not that there are any planned in the very near future, but there will be at some point, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, you are so kind to say that. Last year Pamela Leggett taught us to do a rolled edge with a folded over 1/2" and then trim off the 1/4 leftover with duckbill scissors. It worked nicely but it's nerve wracking cutting that thin seam of chiffon without cutting the layer underneath, even with the special scissors. I'll depend on my Sulky for most casual uses of this edge.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You said my ruching inspired you. Well your chiffon ponchos have inspired me. I can't wait to go to my sewing room and try one. I made sweater knit ones this past winter,but yours are just beautiful! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your chiffon poncho! Thank you so much for the "how-to" and helpful tips. I'm ready to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the yellow poncho! Reading blogs is bad for reducing my "want-to-sew" list!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."