Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Three's a Charm

It is a warm, sunny last day of September and I am sitting on my deck with the laptop, a cup of coffee and so many things to say.  I had gotten out of the blogging habit this summer but thankfully not the sewing habit.  Since that's what most of you come here for, let's start with one of my new favorite patterns, New Look 6110.  Back in July I wanted to continue on my summer boho theme.  Turns out that I have two RTW blouses already in my closet with these exact same lines so perhaps this pattern would work out for me.  I am thrilled with the results and have a few more ideas to make this one well loved TNT pattern.  Here are my three recent versions and the adjustments that I made:


New Look 6110
This first version is from a silk georgette, long aging in my resource center.  I think it came from the Jomar store in Lansdale, PA.  I did make a mock up of this pattern  and discovered (to no one's surprise) that I needed a slight FBA, a center back seam and 1 inch added to the sleeve length...not the 2 inches that I anticipated and I narrowed the sleeve band by 1 inch.  I never regret making a mock up....but I have regretted not making one.  

When I cut out the georgette, I placed newspaper on my cutting table and then pinned the fabric and the pattern pieces to the newspaper before cutting out the georgette.  I just needed a little more stability to keep everything steady and on grain.  
Newspaper, then fashion fabirc, then pattern pieces
I sewed the vertical sleeve and body seams with french seams.  First pass, wrong sides together,  I used my 1/4" foot which also has just a single hole for the needle, making it precise all along those seams.  I trimmed the seam allowance with my sharp Ginger craft scissors and used the presser foot to hold the fabric taut for closing trimming:
The presser foot is just holding the fabric in place so I can trim the seam neatly with scissors.
Press and then stitch right sides together for a wonderful seam that is strong but totally finished inside.  Around the raglan armholes I did use my serger instead to finish that curved armscye seam.
Since I needed a FBA on the front, I transferred the side dart into more gathers along the top edge.  But that meant I had to be extra careful about making those gathers relatively even at the neckline.  I hand basted the neckline pieces onto the entire garment.  Yes, it's a bit tedious but it ensures that I don't sew and rip when I make mistakes at the machine.  Sewing my mockup taught me that I could easily get lumps and bumps along that area when I just used my machine:
Whoops, front neckline on the mockup would not be satisfactory in finished garment
Using silk thread means that it will be easy to remove.  I also used my stiletto when sewing in that area to keep those gathers even and spaced:
Basted gathers
Stiletto used at the machine
Finished neckline and shoulder gathers
I did not make functional buttonholes since this top nicely slips on over my head.  But I like the button closure so I used my handy spacing tool to decide how many buttons to add and where to sew them.  Do you have one of these tools?

Once I get a pattern to fit, then it's time to do some customizing.  My next version was from a Fabric Mart fabric.  I initially remembered it as a cotton voile but instead it was a very lightweight polished cotton.  Hmmmm, I knew it would not drape as nicely as that silk georgette so I made a change to the hemline by modifying it into a shirt hem, using a template from Louise Cutting's Perfect Shirt pattern (which I have never sewn but of course I own!)  It's a little deeper than I would have liked but still wearable.  I looked too much "mutton dressed as lamb" in this version so I needed to give it a glam it up to take it to a more designer version.  I had just merged my two bead collections from our Baltimore and former Florida home so I pulled out a variety of beads with colors from the fabric and hand beaded it like crazy.  Just random all over the neckline edge to give it a subtle but heavy bling factor.  I am thrilled with the result.  I'll be able to wash it on delicate and any beads that don't make it over time can easily be replaced since there's no special design to it.  
Beading in process....plain neckline on the left, beads started on the right.
Full beading front to back 
New look 6110, version #2
So one of these in July, one in August and I decided to do one more for the slightly cooler but still warm late summer/early fall days.  This version is from a fabulous silk cotton blend from Fabric Mart.  When I felt it, I just had to buy it.  I avoid grey but I loved the gold tone in this fabric which I think means I get to enjoy it with my blonde hair.  The drape on this one is right between the two.  Thin enough to be lightweight and yet with some body so that it doesn't cling to my no longer 1970's body.  
New Look 6110 with gold in the fabric and goldfinch feeder in the background
Auditioning the buttons for version #3
Last picture for this long overdue post will show you version #2 in action....and give you a clue as to what else I have been doing this summer.  Lucky the rescue dog and I are now certified as Pets on Wheels visitors.  We've started making visits to a nearby assisted facility and a local library branch where young readers can sign up to "read to a dog" for practice.  He's a friendly, frisky guy and puts a smile on every one's face.  Next post, some more new garments and more late (not late-breaking) news about summer at our place.  
We both passed!  Lucky and I are Pets on Wheels visitors.
Waiting for someone to read this book to me.
Here to bring some cheer....

13 comments:

  1. You look stylish in all three! The photo of Lucky reading is adorable:) Pets on Wheels will bring joy all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, thank you. Our reading days are my favorites since the children really do stop and show him the book as they read it aloud. So cute.

      Delete
  2. Your tops are all so pretty. And I think it's wonderful that you do the Pets on Wheels. Seeing your little dog, just made me smile, as I'm sure he does for so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly. Yup, he's definitely a special dog for many of us.

      Delete
  3. I love all of your tops! I have this pattern, you have inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I think it's a terrific pattern and very in style right now....certainly an unusual experience for me:-)

      Delete
  4. All three of your tops look lovely. What is pets on wheels? I have never heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Janine. Pets on Wheels is a charitable group that matches up volunteers with their pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, any small animal) who take them to visit people in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice and other places where the friendliness of a pet might be a comfort. I wanted to do it with our first dog, Sam, but he was too aloof and didn't have the personality for it. Lucky is perky and friendly so he's perfect for the job.

      Delete
  5. So glad to see your return to blogging. I have that pattern and your examples are just the encouragement I need to get it made up. Thanks for the tip about pinning to newspaper.

    My local library has a Read to the Dog program and those spots fill up quickly. Kudos to you for taking the time to become certified and participate in such a great activity. Without volunteers, so many of our community extras would not be possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks for noticing I've been gone:-) I really wondered about continuing to blog....but that's a discussion for another time. I am grateful for the time to do several volunteer activities but also have to be careful. I did get burned out for a while....after I been named "Volunteer of the Year" which was really a sign to myself that I had said "yes" too many times. Now I call myself "willing but careful" when someone asks me to take on a job.

      Delete
  6. Happy to see you blogging again. I am sort of a "lurking" reader and your blog has been very inspiring for me to return to sewing after so many years of not having the time due to work, etc. I am now retired and getting back into it! I love the idea of Pets on Wheels but it does not look like my area has this (upstate SC)--maybe one of these days they will start this here--it's a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for retirement and thank you for your kind words. We love SC and frequently visit family in the coastal area (although I prefer NC barbecue, sorry.) There are some other local pet volunteer organizations in our urban/suburban area but seems like Pets on Wheels is one of the older ones.

      Delete
  7. These tops have such a casual chic vibe, A great look on you. I thought of you on Thursday when I was at the Sewing Expo in Fredericksburg and ran into Julie, and we talked about the retreat in Winchester. Glad to see you are still sewing and blogging. The Pets on Wheel program sounds like it would be both fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."