Friday, October 14, 2016

Right Dress, Wrong Season

In mid-August I brought several samples garments to a sewing weekend with fitting guru Sarah Veblen and this dress was the overwhelming favorite among all of us.  What a fabulous pattern and I am loving the final result....but not the fact that I won't be wearing it in public until we head to Florida later this winter.  But if you sew clothes, you know the joy and excitement of a new, versatile TNT pattern.  
Oh, Vogue 8997, how do I love thee?

Vogue 8997
I like the open neckline, the raised underbust seaming, the cup size options, the fun flare in this flared version and this fun stretch sateen from Fabric Mart.  It's the perfect dress for the summer winery outdoor dances that Mr. Lucky and I go to and I only regret that I didn't try this pattern out in late spring.

Here's the fabulous pattern...note that it comes with a two piece sleeve (wonderful in a dress and unusual), a flutter sleeve and a straight sheath version.  I will be making an entire wardrobe of these dresses in all their variation.
When Sarah helped me fit my mock-up, this is what I had to work with:
The pattern has eight pattern pieces for the sleeveless version.  I am so asymmetrical that I had to cut the dress in single layers and had to make adjustments on 12 of the 16 pieces.  So yes, it is a slow process for someone like me.  I am not temperamentally a particularly detailed or precise person. But working with Sarah has shown me the benefits of slowly making these adjustments and working carefully.  I would fail as a custom dressmaker but thankfully my style works for my casual life.  
Eight bodice pieces each with its own little adjustment

I self lined the bodice and then used a rayon lining for the bottom panels.
The stretch woven I used was quite lightweight so I applied light interfacing on the lining edges of the neckline and armholes to keep them stable.  I line sleeveless dresses using a sort of "burrito" method.  I  meant to take good pictures illustrating this technique again but instead will refer you to my original post...lining a sleeveless sheath  
Now let me show you how I will be wearing this dress in public...always with a little shrug.

I brought this project to my sewing retreat in August and one evening went shopping at the local Stein Mart store. (We don't have them in Maryland but they are one of my favorites for Florida casual wear.) I found this lacey little tie shrug for $8 on clearance and it looks like I coordinated it perfectly.
I may end up tracing the shrug because it's perfect for this dress.  And this is how I feel wearing this fun,  girly,swirly, twirly dress...let's get this party started.
Here's hoping that your sewing projects make you feel like dancing.

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress with an amazing fit! You definitely should make more of these dresses in a load of different fabrics! We have a Stein Mart 10 mins from the house and I'm always amazed at how busy it is and how often the goods turn over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:-) I bow to you, Carolyn, for being the queen of dress makes! It is true about Stein Mart: buy it when you see it or it will disappear.

      Delete
  2. Very prettty ! Love the lining tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you, Mary Ellen. Isn't it great that we can share what we have learned from sewing friends we haven't even met yet.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty and so flattering on you. Looks great paired with the bolero. I agree with Carolyn definitely make more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. It's fun to think that my non-sewing friends won't even know it's all one pattern.

      Delete
  4. Time well spent on getting it right. Fabulous dress, love it with the tops too. Definitely worth to make more variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have always inspired me with your patience and persistence, Sigrid, so I have to channel sewing friends who have done meticulous work in order to persist in my own efforts.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely dress! Definitely perfect for dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene. It will be fun to wear on a dance floor.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful dress and it fits perfectly! Well worth the time it takes to make pattern adjustments. Don't you just love it when you find the perfect coordinating piece...on sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I would have struggled to find a lacey lace to coordinate but there it was. I don't feel I have to sew every little thing in my wardrobe, especially when finds like this pop up at a store.

      Delete
  7. Jane,
    Wonderful job on your dress - awesone fit and style. Might have to pull it out for next year. And the pink lacey shrug looks like it was made for your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really is a terrific pattern in all its variations.

      Delete
  8. Lovely dress! I think you look great in this and I think we will sew more of this pattern! Love the shrug. We have Stein Mart in our area and they do have a good sale from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you, Linda. I am a Stein Mart junkie and even my husband enjoys their selection and sales. He wore a slightly hip shirt to a reunion weekend recently and got many compliments from my cousins. Makes it easier to get him to shop when that happens.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful dress. Well done. I was taught how to sew but I hate it. After spending 24 working hours on a pleated skirt I am so fed up with it, I don't want to wear it anymore. Or I have slaved over a dress and the end result just looks hideous on me. After a couple of those experiments I gave up. So I admire your skills to pull off something as beautiful as this. When I saw your first picture I thought: "lucky woman, she can still wear a sleeveless dress". Then you started telling us you would always wear it with a shrug haha. I will say, the dress looks lovely on you without a shrug too.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."