Wednesday, November 23, 2016

"Am I Blue?"

Yes, I am blue in every sense of the word.  In the US that means I am a progressive liberal and it also means that the recent election results have made me blue and disgusted.  I won't say much more about politics since others have done so in very eloquent ways but I am working on mending my broken heart first and then continuing to work on mending the world one person, one interaction, one step, one protest  and one vote at a time.   
When the presidential election was over, my immediate consolation came in the form of three days at a sewing workshop with Sarah Veblen and more than a half dozen of other creative, encouraging, supportive, funny, always eager to learn women.  Somewhat ironic to say the least.  But it was the very best solution for my immediate pain and I focused my attention on fitting several new garments, discussing fabric choices with Sarah for some upcoming projects and most importantly starting to use my TNT patterns for new designs.  You'll be seeing the results in upcoming posts.  For now, here are two projects I have not yet blogged about, both from patterns that Sarah fit on me in August.
This sheath dress is a very old Burda pattern, #3247,...so old that the notions include a recommendation for shoulder pads.  But as Sarah and I did the fitting in August we could both tell that the pattern had good bones...a side dart, waist darts front and back and a slightly tapered hem.  Here's the first version in a print ponte from Fabric Mart.  I like the print but the fabric is already pilling so it won't be a long term garment in my closet.  I selected it to wear with this royal blue RTW cardigan and am quite happy with how it looks as an outfit.

Burda 3247

Burda 3247 as I will wear in in real life

I made the dress in time for a wonderful family anniversary party in mid-October.  My mother's younger brother and my aunt have been married for fifty years....and I was in the wedding back in 1965.  I was only fifteen years old at the time but look 35 in that teased hair (what we called "French curls in New Jersey.)  With high heels, my full 5' 8 3/4" height and Marge Simpson hairdo I tower over the rest of the bridal party.


My cousins and other uncles and my brother all gathered from around the country for the anniversary weekend and it was so wonderful to get together for a happy occasion.  

Since the election I am regrouping and part of that meant spending time in the sewing room making a top to wear for Thanksgiving with family again tomorrow and we don't necessarily share the same political beliefs. But as my minister has reminded our congregation for many years, we don't have to think alike to love alike.  So I will go and share that spirit of love but also with my own inside joke.

I pulled out a lovely heavy rayon paisley print from my resource center, a dark and dusty blue-grey-black.  It is soft and casual and comfy but I needed some details to make it feel more special.  The pattern is an easy tunic top, a new favorite, McCalls 7357, McCalls 7357 . 
McCalls 7357
I used black cotton lace fabric to add slot seams in two of the three sleeve seams.  
1 3/4" lace strip pinned on one sleeve seam
I cut 1 3/4 inch strips of the lace then pressed the blouse seams under 3/4 inches, not the usual 5/8, on both sides of the seam.  That means there is a 1/4" gap on that seam.  I pinned the strip in place matching the cut edges then topstitched it place. 

It's a subtle detail but I like knowing it is there.  I also put a small piece of lace behind the front curved neckline and wrapped the sleeve binding with the lace as well.  Yes, I am blue but it is a blue I am proud of in every sense of the word.
And my contribution to the Thanksgiving feast tomorrow....Maryland blue crab dip.  I couldn't resist....

And if you don't know the song, here's the Linda Rondstadt version I listened to on a cassettte tape in the '80s.

 No matter what your mood or color is, I hope you too find renewal and inspiration in your sewing room.

8 comments:

  1. Really? Disgusted?? How about your candidate lost, no more no less. The arrogance and condescension is astounding. Did it ever occur to you that people were disappointed four years ago? Never once did I ever feel disgusted with the folks that disagreed with me. I respected their differing opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WRONG! Our candidate won the popular vote by over 2 million.
      Wrong again...8 years ago and 4 years ago, your president-elect was a birther, questioning the president's citizenship. Many others were using racial epithets against the president. You were all a bunch of whiners and worse.

      Delete
    2. I knew my post would be controversial but didn't mean to start a defense either way. I'm old enough to have been through many election cycles with my family and friends and we are loud, funny, can tease one another because we have in common is similar values on almost every issue, where we differ is in the mechanisms to get there. I am disgusted by incivility and saddened by people who feel so disenfranchised that they won't vote. And my family can enjoy my" blue" joke's on me (after all, I lost this round) but we still love and support one another through all the ups and downs of life. So many others don't have that kind of support and community and that's what I want to work on building.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. And I share your disgust with this country. I'm blue in every sense of the word as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not disgusted with the country but saddened that the recent decades have put us into these subgroups that have become our identities. Ironically it's the internet, the very thing I am using right now that I think has allowed that to blossom. The pendulum of change swings in wide arcs and we don't know where it will settle but I'll be working to the common ground.

      Delete
  3. I'm blue right along with you. This isn't the Bush election (father or son) but something far worse and more frightening. However, your outfits are lovely, and the reason we're reading your blog, right? What a treat it must have been to work with Sarah Veblen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I count my lucky stars at how close I am to Sarah and how much I learn each time from such a gentle, encouraging teacher. For anyone reading this blog, if you want to save on a hotel room I would gladly offer my guest room if it would make it easier financially to work with Sarah in person. I've joked that I will have to follow her to wherever she moves for retirement....at least she thinks it was joke.

      Delete
  4. Like your tunic top and it's symbolism. And mostly I'm impressed with your intention of community building.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."