Let's go back in time, dear friends, to mid-January when I was getting ready for both my highly anticipated Winchester, Virginia sewing retreat followed by the drive to southwest Florida for two months. Of course I worried about what shoes and clothes to bring....but more importantly what sewing projects, machines and notions would make the journey. On top of that I was determined to not leave Baltimore until I finished a big home dec sewing project. So let's start these posts with that project...four full length drapery panels for my renovated family room.
|DIY lined hidden tab drapes|
Let's talk construction details. These are lined, hidden back tab curtains. There are several nice blog posts about this style and I particularly liked the youtube video from the onlinefabricstore.net I did make some slight changes to make mine look a little more like a "workroom" not factory version.
The major challenge to project like this in our 1933 built home is finding space to lay out 8 3/4 feet of fabric. Yes, it's on the floor and that means I am getting up and down on my knees for each panel several times....all the more reason why it took me four months after I bought the fabric to tackle this project.
Lay down the fabric and cut the length plus the bottom hem and top header.
Measure for a 4" hem doubled for the bottom...fold, press, then hem. Here's where I varied and used my much-loved blind hem foot.
Since this is heavy home dec linen I used a wider, longer stitch
|blind hem detail on inside|
The blind hem foot takes just a little stitch out of the front fashion fabric of the panel and moves along the edge of the inside hem section. The finished result looks more polished, IMNHO, than just straight stitching the fabric.
|Nearly invisible blind hem from the fashion side of the panel|
Do the same hemming technique, simply making the hem a doubled 2" hem and arranging it to be two inches higher than the panel.
|Rolling out the lining before cutting it...on my knees again|
Once the lining hem is sewn, then it was time to get back on the floor and hem the two long sides for each of the four panels. That meant first turning and pinning the two layers of fabric once, then going back and doing it again, then blind hemming those long sides.
|Side fashion and lining folded once...tip, cut off or at least cut into the selvedge so it won't "pull" the fabric|
|Side pinned in place before blind-hemming|
|Hem and side|
|With the hems at the bottoms and sides the panel became a little easier to manage in my sewing room.|
My finished panels measured 49" and I used seven hidden back tabs, stitched 2" from the top of the panel.
Then it was a "nice day for a hanging" and Mr. Lucky installed them on a set of Target rods.
|Inside peak at those hidden tabs in action|
|"Training" the panels to stay in those soft pleats.|
To end the first of a few upcoming posts I thought I'd share a too-appropriate quip from a friend ...
I hate when people accuse me of lolly-gagging when I'm quite clearly dilly dallying.
Hope you have fun doing whatever you enjoy in your sewing space.