Sunday, May 7, 2017

Flower Power

I'm previewing the weather maps and packing for two upcoming trips this month.  The first is a wedding weekend on the South Carolina coast.  I've shown the alteration I am making to the RTW dress I will be wearing but this is another dress that I just finished that I plan on wearing to cocktails on Friday night.  It's Burda 6247 that I fit last fall and the fabric is a ottoman textured slightly stretchy poly/rayon/spandex blend from Fabric Mart.  I stitched it up at the winter sewing retreat and basted together the side seams.  It was a very good fit (after making the extensive alterations that Sarah Veblen had marked on the original) and I simply tucked it away to finish later.  
Burda 3247
This week was the time to turn it into something to wear.  I put an invisible zipper in the back and then had to decide about facings or lining or bindings.  The weather in SC can be quite humid so I decided to skip the stretch poly lining that I had planned.  I could have drafted an all in one facing but decided to do a simple, lightweight bias facing on the neckline and armholes.  I tested a few black fabrics in my stash fabric hoard resource center and selected a very lightweight black cotton.  I made my own bias tape then stay stitched, trimmed and sewed the bias tape to the edges.  

There's a lovely youtube tutorial that I found one evening if you'd like terrific advice and instructions from Liesl Gibson on Creativebug.  


I hand stitched my facings on the inside since I now have a smart TV in my sewing room and was enjoying "Bomb Girls" on Netflix.  Yes, I am really getting into this 21st century thing;-)
When I wear this sleeveless dress I will also wear a jacket or bolero to cover my upper arms.  When I put the black sweater on it turned a tropical fun print dress into something too somber for a festive occasion. 
Not as festive as I would like
 I decided I needed a fun pin to brighten up the outfit.  Of course my first thought was, "I can make one."  Mr. Lucky and I are heading to NYC for a day trip next week.  I figured I would just pick up some cream leather and follow the Pinterest directions to learn how to make beautiful leather flowers and of course after making some practice flowers my efforts would be special enough for this wedding...and, and, and.  You could tell where I was heading...Pinterest "fail" and last minute panic.  Another way to put pressure on myself in a busy month.  When I had been looking for diy leather flower directions I decided to hit the "shopping" option on Google.  Look, Jane, people are selling already made flowers!!  That lead me to the Etsy site where I had fun shopping and marveling at people's creativity.  Long story to say, wow, look at these gorgeous flowers that came this week.  


I bought two flowers from Leas Studio  in Riga, Latvia. Great communication, fabulous price, speedy service and delivery and absolutely the perfect answer for this outfit.  I could be making leather flowers for years before I could reach this level of artistry.  
I'll take wedding weekend pictures of the outfits in action and let you see the results later this month as part of #MeMadeMay17.

A dear friend who reads my blog asked me to share my Me Made May17 outfits so here's a week's recap. Pardon the repeat if you are already one of my friends on Instagram.
Tabula Rasa jacket as a duster and Margarita top
Simplicity 2603
An early stitch and flip jacket with a M&S Schmalberg flower from NYC
Much embellished TRW sweater
Magic Pencil skirt from Pamela's Patterns
Another hidden pocket infinity scarf for my upcoming European trip and Margarita top
A McCalls sheath dress and fabric flowers from Affray ribbons appearing at a delicious and enjoyable tea given by Donna,  a member of my wearable art group
Hope some fun projects are brightening up your days.


6 comments:

  1. First I didn't realize that you were on Instagram so I rectified that by following you. Next, I really like the dress, jacket and flower. You're going to look amazing at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to enter the 21st century and enjoy seeing pics so much. Will look for you there!

      Delete
  2. Very extensive bias binding tutorial, I needed that. Gorgeous Friday night cocktail dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Faye. That was such good tutorial that I couldn't contribute anything more. The kindness of people who post such details always gives me hope.

      Delete
  3. Very extensive bias binding tutorial, I needed that. Gorgeous Friday night cocktail dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those leather flowers! To die! What a find!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."