Friday, October 17, 2014

New: Tabula Rasa Knit Tunics

Early in the summer I was a tester for this new knit pattern on behalf of my creative friend, Rae Cumbie, and her line of patterns, Fit for Art patterns (read Rae's blog for great tips and insights into her design process)  Back in July, when I changed sizing and went from a Medium to a Small with the darted front,  I made a comfy, stylish summer robe from the jacket pattern. Then in August she and her partner Carrie sent me the finalized version of the new knit tunic pattern.  Now, I will admit that I was very skeptical that the jacket pattern would translate well into a knit version but at that testing day my skepticism disappeared as I watched middle aged women of various shapes and sizes stitch up stylish and flattering knit topics, soooooo much better than the shapeless T shirts that so many others wear.  Once again, like the jacket, what is nice about the pattern is the choice of an undarted or darted front, a shoulder line that rests on your shoulder, not dropped, but a high square armhole that is a breeze to sew.  Since that swingy side panel is everywhere in RTW right now, I made all three of these with it.  I will try the standard straight side later when I want a closer fit knit top for layering.  Ok, enough prelude, here are my three versions:


Tabula Rasa Knit Tunic with Swing Sides

This is an ITY Fabric Mart border print knit and while I was happy, I wanted it slightly longer.

Double border fabric and how I cut out the pieces



Next up was my boho fabric version...a rayon burn-out knit and two different laces, all underlined with powder-dry, a thin, breathable knit.






This nude powder-dry is ages old....back from a Yahoo fabric buying group before we had easy on-line shopping.  I hand basted the front, back and sleeves, thinking that the burgundy lace would be floaty enough on the sides not to need underlining.  Wrong!!  I could see my fleshy mid section right through that lace.  I used an even lighter fabric, a very thin tricot and hand basted that to the side panel lace so that it would keep the lightweight drape but become opaque.  Saved....or rather I saved the public from muffin top views.

Tricot pinned to the side swing panels
No prying eyes here.
Last version is my favorite so far.  Last year Fabric Mart had rayon knits in coordinating colors and sizes of stripes.  I purchased two sets of color ways and this top is one of them.  It's a purple-y blue and black stripe.  I used the largest stripe for the body, the narrower stripe for the sleeves, the solid blue for the swing panel and made the neckline from the solid and wide cut on the bias.  
Tabula Rasa Knit Tunic and infinity scarf
A better picture with truer colors
Auditioning the proportion and placement of different fabrics
Double fabric neckline finish

I had about 10 inches left of the two stripe fabrics so I sewed them as an infinity scarf and I must say I love the cowl look....so much so that I will probably add a cowl neckline to the pattern this fall or winter.  


Last photo is me wearing my first Tabula Rasa Knit Tunic in Quebec City where we got to watch the September "super moon" rise from the 10th floor deck of the airbnb apt. we rented.  More about the trip and souvenir fabric shopping to come later.  

Sew grateful you took the time to read and/or comment today.  

16 comments:

  1. We honeymooned in Quebec city. Wow, it's grown in size, but is still lovely.

    I like the tops. They are floaty but not sloppy-big. A really good look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful place for a honeymoon. We were doing some 27th anniversary celebrating and it was the perfect place to enjoy being outdoors but also the charms of a historic and beautiful city.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a good pattern. You look terrific wearing them! I especially like the first one, the border print. It looks so good with the lights of Quebec in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, this pattern has lots of potential for mixing fabrics and using border prints creatively. We were so surprised that we were the only ones enjoying the huge roof top deck in a large 10 story apt building. I suppose when you live somewhere so beautiful you start to take it for granted.

      Delete
  3. Love your tops & great idea making the cowl scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you! I must admit that I am an infinity scarf junkie since I am frequently so cold.

      Delete
  4. What a great job you did matching fabric to the pattern. I love all three, but especially the strip knit with the cowl scarf. And isn't airbandb great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you sweet! I've learned a lot from seeing Rae and Carrie's jackets and tunic tops for this pattern. Some of them are definitely too much for me to wear since I'm a fairly plain sportswear type of gal but they do make me look at my fabric stash differently. And we have loved our two airbnb experiences so far.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful tops! And one can never have too many scarves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Oh, yes, scarves are a weakness, all the way back to the eighties and nineties in my "power suits." It does help that I am often cold so I canjustify making and buying them.

      Delete
  6. These tops fit you well, and the fabrics you used made each one so unique. I haven't tried Fit For Art Patterns, but this one might tempt me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably not totally objective because Rae was my friend before she started developing patterns. But I have always thought of her as an artist with fabric and these patterns are so adaptable for my casual retired but busy lifestyle.

      Delete
  7. I have a set of stripey Marcy Tilton knits which have been sitting in stash for three years. I really like this pattern and by adding an infinty scarf - another look altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you go for it. I think the angles on this pattern are wonderful for stripes. I'm using a small stripe and print for my next one.

      Delete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."