Sunday, September 18, 2016

Rocky Mountain High Fabric Shopping

My latest sewing project is still under construction so I'll just drop in to ask about your travels and fabric hoarding shopping.  If you've read this blog for more than five minutes you know that I have more than enough fabric for several lifetimes of sewing, particularly at my slow pace.  So unlike some of you who reside in true "fabric store deserts," I don't have any need to visit a fashion fabric store when I am out of town.  But.....I find them irresistible and this coming week I just may have to find this one to explore.  
About 16 years ago I was just starting to think that I could actually learn to sew well enough to create wearable garments for myself.  It happened that year that we were on a trip with a woman from the Denver area and she mentioned her sewing interest and a shop called Elfriede's Fine Fabrics  Ironically enough, I had spent many earlier days in Colorado during the west coast portion of my career in the early 80s. Made a great friend there, Mr. Lucky has some family in the area and I have visited another friend in the mountains several times....but all of those were before my interest in sewing exploded.  Many opportunities, in other words, to learn about this store but all before I took up this hobby seriously.  

Now we are boarding a plane on Wednesday for a visit to those family members before we meet up with Maryland friends at Rocky Mountain National Park for several days of hiking and fun.  
Green Mountain by Shellie Mitchell  
I'm not committing myself to getting to Elfriede's since family and friends come first, but if time allows it would be a nice pit stop on our drive and Boulder is a beautiful area anyway and they just might have something I cannot find anywhere else and we should support independent fabric stores and it's not like some useless tchotkes and Southwest includes "free" luggage and I will only be in there for a few minutes and...and...and.  Yes, that's how my mind operates near a wonderful fabric store.  

Will she, won't she?  I'll let you know in the next installment.  In the meantime, I said I was an old hippie and Colorado was in a lot of our music back then including this sweet one
Here's hoping friends, family and fabric are making you happy, too.

PS  Look at this artist's beautiful work: Shellieartist  and her beautiful fabric on wood pieces.  

10 comments:

  1. I like the way your mind works! You definitely should stop and shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, an enabler, just what I need. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info on the fabric store. I'll have to make a point of getting over to Boulder on my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this fabric store's name on the list of fine fabric stores in the back/front of Vogue Pattern Magazine. I do hope that you get to go so that you can report back on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw their ad I recognized the name from that fellow traveler. Now that I've seen the website I am even more interested in a visit.

      Delete
  4. I live over the fence from Elfriede's and can attest that the store is a destination. Her shop is across the street from McGuckin Hardware, another destination store. Mr Lucky will be happy there while you're fabric shopping. I am petting a piece of rayon Lycra from Elliot Berman NYC that I bought from EFF last week. If you stop by, want to meet up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need some more encouragement and you have given it to me. I will send you my cell number so we can work out details since I would love to meet up out there.

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes! If you have a chance to get to Elfriede's, go! I try to make it in once a month. I limit myself to one piece ... usually. 🙂. Rayon, silk, lots of wool, cotton, Liberty, knits, linen, etc. i love to check the remnant basket. Sometimes Elfiede will donate something from her stash to the remnant basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely put it on the GPS so thanks for another testimonial that it is worth a stop.

      Delete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."