Friday, September 9, 2016

How Low Can You Go?

No, this is not a post about décolletage or hemlines.  Our recently completed kitchen and family room renovation has made me look at my sewing supplies with new eyes.  Or rather, having workmen doing plumbing and gas fitting in our basement has made me look at my drawers and drawers of patterns with their eyes....and it's more than a little shocking.  Just how many patterns do I need want to have in my space?  I'm not going all Marie Kondo-y on you, dear friends and family.  I am not going to embrace a minimalist life.  I'm more aligned with the Peter Walsh concept of honoring what I do have by using /enjoying/ seeing it or eliminating it to make life simpler and more free flowing.  So the immediate question...how low can I take my pattern collection and still feel excited, challenged and creative?  Right now I am taking a pledge to cut my pattern collection in half over the course of the next year.  Half of what?  I can't be exact because even I don't know exactly how many patterns I have.  But by next summer there will not be any patterns in plastic drawers in my basement.  That's as much of a pledge as I am will to make today.  
Many of the patterns I decide to eliminate will be giveaways at my local sewing groups and on this blog so watch for future months of freebies coming your way.  

The rest of this post is of a more personal nature so if you want sewing pics and such you can move to the next blog on your reader without hurting my feelings.  I've just had several wonderfully relaxing vacation days and caught up on months of blog reading which feels like reconnecting with dear friends at a reunion.  
"Vacation?"  What could she be talking about, she's retired and her day is her own every day?  How right you are, I am the luckiest person on the planet just to wake up each morning.  But I have to admit, this home renovation project felt like a part time management job and I am glad that the "contract" is over and we can enjoy the results.  There will be home dec sewing projects this coming season but for now the major work is done and I am thrilled with the results.  It feels like we have moved into a new home.  Here are the "after" pics...check out this post Post with before pics  if you want to see the previous 1990 kitchen/family room (minus the min-fruit wallpaper, border and window toppers from my Laura Ashley wanna-be period.)

Our goal was to make a space that Mr. Lucky and I could enjoy now and also make it appealing to the family who will buy it in the near far  undetermined future.  Our contractor was wonderful, the annoying snafu with our first refrigerator has been worked out and now we want to entertain and enjoy the space.  



We would have liked an island but our addition was too narrow by about 12 inches so we have this wonderfully huge peninsula with drawers and a 30" farmhouse sink.  Quartz counter top and new lighting since the back of the room faces north.


We used to have no-wax floor here and now have refinished hardwood throughout.  I am going to paint my own floorcloth for this space.

Past the peninsula is our previous kitchen dining set, a sturdy Amish made oak set which will either become a game table set in the basement next year or be sold at a local consignment shop.  I'm considering having our contractor make a dining table with the side panels of an old treadle sewing machine and recycled wood on top.  But first I have to get a rug for the new, "squarer" space.  I'm thinking of a matching striped wool dhurrie rug that I cut down and bind myself.  Another sewing related project.


We have changed from wood-burning to a gas fireplace which I will especially appreciate on winter mornings.  We also changed from a sectional sofa to these four armchairs.  Mr. Lucky and I watch TV together in the evening and I like cuddling.  We do have a sectional and another larger TV in our living room so we were willing to remove the sofa and change to these chairs.  The room is now more cohesive and welcoming. I will be making long window panels for those four back windows.  We don't need any privacy back here since the space heads out to our deck and is quite high.  Watch for future posts about the gorgeous fabric I was able to steal buy over the 4th of July sale at Calico Corners.  

Plenty of other details in making this all happen but this is not a home dec blog so I will close with some pics from our present location.  Mr. Lucky and I are renting a home at Bethany Beach, Delaware.  Last year we invited several friends but this year we were worn out from renovating, traveling and entertaining so we are just chilling, reading, walking, bike riding and slowing down to a more reasonable pace.  I have loved seeing the activities and projects of my virtual long distance blogging friends this week.  This may be a low screen week for us but I am still grateful for this medium and how it brings kindred spirits closer.  Here's hoping that you have some time in your busy schedules to do the same.
Hurricane Hermine brought only rough seas to this part of the East Coast of the US

Sunset on one of South Bethany's canals


Bike trail on old rail trail from Rehobeth Beach DE to Lewes DE...the first city in the US first official state
Lucky the rescue dog loved an evening on the beach, too


19 comments:

  1. Your new kitchen is absolutely gorgeous. I thought the first picture was your inspiration photo from a magazine. But no, it is the finished renovation. Wow! And Bethany Beach this time of year can be lovely. Enjoy yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you nice to say that, Audrey. We have lived there for thirty years so yes, we used our equity to do it....and I looked at millions of Pinterest pics, too. Missed you at the sewing retreat and hope you'll be at the winter one.

      Delete
  2. I am quite envious of your splendid new kitchen. Enjoy!
    Looking forward to seeing your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene, for your comments and encouragement. It will be fun to get back to the sewing room soon.

      Delete
  3. Your house is beautifully refinished. It looks modern, airy and inviting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Helene. We are enjoying it and are so happy to have it done as well.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your renovation pictures - the kitchen is beautiful, so open and airy! The family area is also very nice. Beautiful beach photos - Lucky is certainly enjoying himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vicki, we have had a wonderful summer but now it's September and time to enjoy the sewing room as well.

      Delete
  5. I kind of just drooled at your new kitchen. We talk about redoing ours and it's also on our five years out list. Also, thanks for donating your cabinets to Second Chance! My sewing room furniture came from there and it's *perfect*. I love that place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our car has a mind of its own...it heads to Fabric Mart north in PA or downtown to Second Chance, depending on which one of us id driving:-) The pics don't show it but the pantry door is now a Second Chance recycled heavy old door on barn door hardware. I'll be picking out a paint color for it later this year.

      Delete
  6. Just beautiful and I too drooled over your new kitchen .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. We are so fortunate to be able to do a project like this....and now I can get busy with some autumn canning projects.

      Delete
  7. Your new kitchen is gorgeous!! I really relate to how you describe managing the renovations though: we are having our bathroom redone and between doing some of the prep work ourselves and having to be present and engaged for each step, it is so draining. But I think (hope!) the results will be worth it. =) Enjoy your getaway: sounds like a much-needed respite for all of you!
    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Abbey, you understand about the prep and decision-making. I'm a pretty slow decision person (didn't get married until I was almost 37;-) so I understand the time this takes up mentally. Good luck with your project. The great results will be worth it.

      Delete
  8. Your new kitchen is gorgeous! When the time comes to sell, it will be a hot property - but now you get to enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin. It does make it easier to sell....and of course, also makes us a bit more reluctant to look elsewhere. I enjoy watching you get settled in your new space and location.

      Delete
  9. Your home looks lovely - renovations are a total pain and I can well imagine you were in need of a vacation, but the results are well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet, Allison, and we are fortunate. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. It is absolutely beautiful! You have impeccable tastes! I love that kitchen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."