Friday, October 7, 2011

The Final Curtain

Oh, I can only hope that these might be my final curtains but that's probably not likely.   Home dec sewing is certainly easier without the fitting challenges on a female body but also tiring because of cutting and handling large pieces of fabric.
I'm using this pattern from   Pate-Meadows Showhouse Designs  to make living room swags from the same fabric as last year's dining room panels.  Yes, it takes me that long to take on another big home dec sewing project.   I say "big" because these are definitely "couture" sways and jabots.  These patterns are not inexpensive but they have detailed directions for achieving the end end decorator look.  
I'm only making them for two windows but have to cut out "face fabric" then lining  then underlining (flannel) then jabot lining.  All on my living room floor since the rolls of fabric are too big to manage on my cutting table.  Here are the cutting directions for one window's worth:


No trim on my swags since I'm going for a cleaner more contemporary look although my house is a 60 year old rather traditional one.  Next post I'll include fabric and pics of each section.  After water aerobics this morning it's off to the dungeon workroom....

4 comments:

  1. I always have great admiration for people who attempt home dec sewing - I've never yet done it but feel I should, especially when I see all the really nice things that people have made for their home. I'm looking forward to following your progress with your curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the final results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find home dec that most challenging of sewing projects. Yards and yards of fabric. Hanging drapes is no picnic either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is one thing about sewing curtains - it's not too hard to get dramatic results. It's great to be able to make your everyday life a little more colorful or pretty through your own creativity. Will enjoy seeing this when you are done.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."