Thursday, September 29, 2011

Serger Scarf Class with Pamela Leggett

If you've been reading since May you'll know that I've become a huge fan of Pamela's Patterns by Pamela Leggett  Pamela's website  She teaches at a beautiful store 2 hours north of me, Steve's Sew and Vac in King of Prussia, PA.  When a special sewing BFF was ready for a road trip, we signed up for a class and got in the car.  Since we were already making the drive north to PA,  we couldn't miss making a stop first at Fabric Mart.  I had remarkable restraint and only bought two pieces.   
The highlight of the day was taking this class with Pamela.  The serger scarf class is based upon the instructions from her article in this month's issue of Threads.  
Serger ruched scarf
The basic directions are quite simple.  Cut a piece of silky fabric 2 yards long and 25" wide.  I used a silk chiffon from the Anna Sui collection at Fabric Mart a few summers ago.  Use your serger to make a rolled edge on all four sides.  
Rolled edge from front
Major tip from Pamela.  I usually use Sulky water soluble stailizer for my serger rolled edges.  But Pamela taught us to iron 1/2" or 3/4" of fabric to the wrong side, then serge just along that folded edge.  Afterwards, carefully trim off the remaining fabric.  Wow, very nice rolled edge with some weight.  
Rolled edge from the back with that overlap to be trimmed
Then draw a series of parallel (or random, if you prefer) lines with chalk and coverstitch across the width of the scarf.  I used 3" parallel lines.  By using the serger's highest stitch length and highest differential feed, you create ruching.  Bring the coverstitch threads to the back, knot all thre threads and dot with seam sealant. 
Ruching from the front


Ruching from the back


I like how my scarf turned out and think this would look especially nice in a wider version for a shawl with texture.  


I loved having time with creative, talented women who love fabric, color and design.  Those are the things that make a class like this so wonderful and energizing.  We didn't get back to my house until 11pm but we talked and laughed the whole way home.  Great sewing karma day.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful scarf! Nothing like a fun day with a buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scarf is very pretty. Thanks for sharing the rolled hem technique. I have a rolled hem presser foot for my serger, but I have never used it. I'd love to try it after reading what a nice result you can achieve with this method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a perfectly lovely day!! and your scarf is a beautiful reminder of how much fun you had with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the rolled hem tip. I made a scarf with rolled edges lately and I think my second one could benefit from this doubled over rolled hem. The scarf I made utilized elastic thread in the bobbin to create a stretchy ruching - lengthwise. It was fun to do but I can't wait to utilized my coverstitch to create ruching. Another fun technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta da! I made mine. You can see it here:
    http://runningwithrocket.blogspot.com/2011/10/love-this-scarf.html


    THANK YOU for posting the tip about the serger rolled hem. Perfect for my frays-easily fabric.

    Not to mention the Coverstitch ruching!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."