Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Pink...Vogue 1440, Simplicity 4074, Simplicity 2371 and Lace Overlay

Earlier this summer, before serious house hunting (no luck), gardening chores (lovely results) and some wonderful trips (details to follow) I was busy sewing up several new summer garments that all had one thing in common...PINK.  
First up was another tank top with lace overlay, this time using probably polyester guipure lace that I bought in Amsterdam at the Monday fabric market when Sigrid mentioned it on our get together two years ago.  I used the overlay pattern I've made three times before (original post Overlay), attached it to the shoulder princess knit tank, Fabric Mart fabric, of course, and then hand appliquéd additional lace motifs along the neckline and edge.  It's perfect for going to the theater and outdoor summer music.

Next up was my latest version, in spring/summer colors, of the Donna Karan Vogue 1440 pattern.  This time I lined the body of the jacket and again did self fringe but not the bound seams on the original.  I lengthened it one inch and also reduced the front width by an inch so that it looks more like the envelope picture and doesn't quite meet at center front.  I wore it to a sewing group spring tea and then to the Maryland Preakness party (yes, that was months ago, don't shame me.)  The fabric is a cotton blend boucle from Fabric Mart that I have owned for at least fifteen years and this is the perfect use for it. 
Silk organza selvedge to stabilize edges before adding the two layers of boucle selvedge

Ambiance lining for the main body but not the outside edge pieces
Fortunately I had lots of yardage so I could use the pretty selvedge for most of the jacket fringe and  improvise for the rest.
That project was a little time consuming so I needed a "palate cleanser."  I'm having a new alteration in my repertoire, adjusting for a rounded back.  

Whether it's so much computer, sewing, reading time or aging, I now need to revisit that part of my anatomy as I use TNT patterns.  
This is a simple but versatile knit pattern from  maybe ten years ago and I wanted to test my latest alteration.
It's Simplicity 4074, 13 years old and such a classic that there are 46 reviews on Patternreview.  4074 Simplicity

This is a burnout knit that was a little too sheer in the body so I underlined it in a thin breathable beige lining fabric.  It added a little additional body which was good in this thin knit and although I forgot to get a back picture, the new alteration worked well and this pattern is moving up again in the TNT rotation.  I think the faux wrap dress version would be a terrific travel dress.

Now it was time to play with fabric that I had been hoarding collecting fondling saving.  This is cotton lawn, Fabric Mart, from several years ago. It is so light and airy, perfect for our humid summers in Maryland and the lightweight feeling lets me wear sleeves without being terribly uncomfortable.

 I combined an oldie TNT pattern, 

with the sleeves from a new one
but I added a large facing at the bottom of the sleeve so the bow looks nicer fully lined

I'm happy with the result and see a few more of these in my future, too.  

I have always loved the color pink and while I was sewing these new additions I was constantly singing (to myself only, I promise) the song, Pink, from the show "War Paint" about the rivalry between two dynamic entrepreneurs, Helena Rubenstein and Elizabeth Arden.  Mr. Lucky and I got to see the show last fall and were blown away by the powerhouse team of Christine Ebersole and Patti LuPone.  

Here's hoping that you find colors to enjoy in your sewing space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."