Saturday, August 20, 2011

One More Before You Go

Before I officially folded up the tissue for Simplicity 3678, I sewed up one more with this 1 1/2 piece of ITY knit from Fabric.com.  I seldom ever order from them and when I did this summer I only liked 3 of the 6 items in my order.  Even with "free shipping" that's not a good enough ratio for me so please, don't let me do that again.  Yes, I know they would refund my money but shipping it back at my expense sort of wipes out most of that benefit.  



This was one of the knits in the box.  I like the colors but the scale of the print meant that I changed my plans from a knit top to this dress.  I eked out this sleeveless version of Simplicity 3678 with about two inches of fabric to spare.  To make it look a little different I added a braided trim that I made using my Fast Turn tube turners, a purchase from Nancy's Notions many years ago.  These tubes and little wire pulling hook make turning tubes easy and quick.  I recall years ago turning tubes of fabric using the old "safety pin worked through the tube" method....what a PITA.   Nifty little notion to make the job easier.



I like the texture on the dress.  I think a larger version of this braid would also look nice as the midriff band on another version....but that won't be happening soon.  I have folded this one up and am ready to move on to something new.
Here's a great fast turn tube demo if you've never seen them.


Thanks to everyone who made such nice comments on my last post.  Since recipes are just as much fun as sewing, here are two more that I'm taking to our picnic and dance this evening.  It's our very favorite band so we'll be dancing the night away under the stars.
First is this new dish that I got from the New York Times last week.  I did have to buy "pomegranate molasses" at Wegman's but it turns out not too difficult to find if you have a large grocery store or Whole Foods nearby.  It adds a zesty sweet and sour flavor.  Now I know the ingredient that I enjoy in Lebanese and other Middle Eastern cooking.   Fresh tomatoes and eggplant and some chickpeas and yummmm.
New York Times image
Sweet and Sour Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpeas

I don't have pictures of my own version of these next treats so I'll link you to a food blogger with much better photography skills than mine.  Now, it you are on diet or a no sugar/flour food plan, then you may want to stop reading here.  I understand and admire you.  Part of my own particular food/weight challenge over the years has been finding balance in my life.  So when I started a program more than a decade ago to lose weight and find some serenity around food, I found a program of spiritual, emotional and physical balance which still works for me.  Part of my food plan therefore is allowing myself dessert once a week when it fits into my active lifestyle.  This is my treat for tonight, Cook's Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip cookies.  I don't feel deprived, I get to share them with friends who will be there also and now you can try them and see what you think.  Oh, I make about 30 smaller cookies and bake them for 11 1/2 minutes.



Published May 1, 2009.   From Cook's Illustrated.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
Our perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe had to produce a cookie that would be moist and chewy on the inside and crisp at the edges, with deep notes of toffee and butterscotch to balance its sweetness. Melting the butter gave us the chewiness we were looking for. Cutting back on the flour and eliminating an egg white also improved texture and brought the brown sugar flavor to the fore. To give our chocolate chip cookie recipe the crisp edges and toffee flavor we wanted, we let the sugar dissolve in the batter for 10 minutes, then baked the cookies at a high temperature so the edges darkened while the centers stayed soft.

MAKES 16 COOKIES

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
  • 1/2teaspoon baking soda
  • 14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
  • 1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
  • 3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
  • 1teaspoon table salt
  • 2teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1large egg
  • 1large egg yolk
  • 1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
  • 3/4cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
  2. 2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
  3. 4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
  4. 5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Eat Live Run food blogger with CI Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe  You might like the step by step pics on this blog entry.


Happy weekend, everyone.

8 comments:

  1. Another lovely dress! Nice touch with the braid!
    Those recipes are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dress and the print. Thanks for showing the video, I've had the fastturn set since Christmas and haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress! I missed that print on Fabric.com or else I'm sure I would've bought it. Just so you know ... Fabric.com guarantees your purchase and pays for return shipping within 30 days of purchase. No questions asked. While I buy lots of knit prints from them, they aren't always up to snuff so I do take advantage of the return shipping when I don't like a fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know, Fabric.com will pay for the return shipping. I have heard that buying knits from them is hit-or-miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress turned out beautifully. The braided trim is a nice addition. I love Fast-turn. Ordering fabric without a swatch is always a crap-shoot.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."