Sunday, January 20, 2013

Plain and Simple

As I have been obsessing about  harping on mentioning, Mr. Lucky and I are in the house staging part of our sales process for our Florida condo.  Last week I took a four day break to visit with a girlfriend who came into town.  We got to the community pool since the weather has been delightfully and unseasonably warm (climate change, bad, but warm winter in Florida with company, good) and a beach sunset.  She is a quilter so we visited three beautiful quilt stores in the area where she helped the local economy by buying some fabric and patterns while I bought a spool of thread.  Meanwhile, Mr. Lucky was being a DH, took care of the dogs while also doing more minor home tweaking and painting.  He decided one day to see if he could get the hand held sprayer in our shower to work a little more forcefully. In FL we often get calcium deposits so he wanted to clear out those little sprayer holes....what better tool than that sharp little thing sitting on my sewing table...here's the result.
What's wrong with this picture?
Whoops, the sharp tip of the wonderful Clover seam ripper has gone down the drain.  But he did really improve the water flow!  No pictures of us enjoying that result.
Now when I continued my home dec sewing project at the end of the week, I did so without a seam ripper.  Taking chances, right?  Then good fortune smiled my way! Jilly Be Joyful blog Jillian just celebrated her two year blogaversary and offered a wonderful giveaway.....and I won.  Happy faces all around.  Thank you, Jillian.  Soon I'll be ripping away with ease again as well as enjoying that fun notebook and terrific Charco marker.
Here's where I got on the trundle bed makeover this week after my friend left.  
Boring but neutral vanilla bedding
I made a very basic duvet cover for this old quilt (made in China or India) that I have had for almost thirty years.  
I'm using up stash fabric so this is a nubby silk pinstripe noil from Fabric Mart, very oatmeal in color.  I could never decide what to do with it for a garment but bought the bolt for $2 a yard years ago. 
duvet cover "envelope" on the floor before stitching together
I had enough to make the duvet cover and two pillow shams.  That silk noil is lightweight and I had to interface the pillow sham fabric.  It was more annoying to use up a few yards of nice Fabric Mart knit interfacing than to sacrifice this unused fabric. 
Next week some artwork from Target.com should be arriving and will be hung above the new bed:
Yes, I probably could have made something very similar with some of my Pinterest project directions but time is running short on our sales season so this is the next best thing.  
As an FYI, I thought some of you would be interested in what happened to that big cuttng mat in this room:
voila
Slightly narrower cutting mat is stored on the lower trundle
This week I am heading north for the annual ASG Northern VA sewing retreat. I'll stitch up some cute accent pillows for the bedding while I am catching up with my dearest friends and fellow stitchers.  More pictures to follow.
In the meantime, I'll leave you with this one: 
While the girls were out playing in fabric stores, Mr. Lucky was repainting all the condo molding and earning many "golf points" along the way.

7 comments:

  1. Dont you just love when the hubby uses your sewing tools for non-sewing jobs? I believe you winning over at Jilly's is a case of sewing kismet! Have fun on your ASG trip, and good luck with the condo sale. By the way, it looks like your DH is enjoying himself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Lucky is a good guy. But isn't it amazing that we always have exactly what they need? I once found my basting bulb in the garage where it had been sucking up grease and emptying into my loaf pan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe while you're away you should hide the rest of your sewing tools. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on winning a replacement seam ripper -- just in time! In our house, I'm afraid that I'm the one who discreetly uses some of my husband's stuff for various sewing uses -- the main one being his beloved wooden letter opener, which happens to be the perfect point turner! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although the colors are 'vanilla' the fabric is very luxe!

    Good luck with the sale - our house goes on sale later next week as well . . . . . ! But the good news is, although we are downsizing and having a bungalow built, my sewing room will be larger. Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the serendipity of it all! Have a wonderful trip - hopefully your little package will be waiting for you upon your arrival home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."