Friday, December 31, 2010

Sewing Resolutions

I truly enjoy the end of the year photo collages and remarks made by sewers around the world.  There's a common thread of sew more, worry less, master some new techniques and use more of the already stashed collected patterns and fabric.  I'm good with all of those.  I did not make a formal, written plan for sewing in 2010 since I only started blogging in September.  I did make a verbal commitment to get a fitted dress made (done), work on welt pockets (not done) sew from my stash (definitely done) and get a wrap blouse pattern fitted and sewn (half way there.)
Last sunset of 2010
I'm keeping it equally short and simple for 2011.  Sew 12 jackets.  Ok, maybe not simple, but certainly short.  As  part of that project I will make welt pockets for at least for one of those jackets and I'd like to work on my lining and lapel techniques.  I'll definitely sew a lot of things from my fabric collection but I'm not foolish enough to commit to not buying fabric in 2011.  On the other hand, I will be donating and gifting pieces from that collection which deserve to go to new homes, the same with patterns that I'll never use.
Nothing too unusual about these plans.
But 2010 has had a profound effect on me in other sewing related ways.  When I heard in the late spring of this year that the wonderful Shannon Gifford (remarkable Patternreview teacher) and Fred Bloebaum (terrific pattern designer of La Fred patterns) had passed away at such young ages I was so saddened for their families and our sewing community who lost inspiring, encouraging, patient and creative teachers.  They were both younger than I am, even more tragic that they died right when their lives were full of joy, family and accomplishment.  Yes, I know in my head intellectually that any day on earth could be my last day, but their deaths were reminders at the heart level.  Not long afterwards, my husband and I were out for happy hour one evening and I reminded him of a plan we have.  We've always said that when the dog dies (mind you, that could easily be 5 or 6 years away since Sam  is a healthy 11 going on 12) we'll take our big trip to Australia and New Zealand.  Well, that night I decided that who knows if one or both of us will outlive the dog and I want to take that trip now.  So that is why late this February into the first two weeks of March we'll be traveling for my "bucket list" trip.  Sam will be heading to a great kennel here in SW Florida and we'll be flying off to New Zealand for 3 weeks hiking and touring the South Island.   I'll be sewing up several pieces to take on that trip over the next two months in between planning more details of our visit.  It's more than a little ironic that sometimes it takes sadness and pain for us to fully experience joys but that's the contradictory nature of life.
In the meantime, wishing you a happy new year and the chance to fulfill your heart's desire this year.

7 comments:

  1. Jane, Your post was a nice reminder not to put off our dreams. Thank you. I cannot wait to read about your trip.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful plans for the new year. The trip sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...it is sew cool... : )

    I want to make those weight covers of Michele...how wide did you cut yours? btw...I so wish you were coming to the retreat...my friend Nancy will be coming this year! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, what a thought-provoking piece (as are so many of yours). I work Sundays at a Hospice House and I understand what you're saying. I can't help but track the patients who are younger than I am, and we always have several. It is so important to do NOW those things we "mean" to do. Congratulations on your decision to make this incredible trip NOW.

    p.s. I bought the sock pattern you just reviewed (thanks!!!) and tomorrow I'll muslin a pair of socks... and I got a bunny suit pattern and fab for my bf to wear under his drysuit on cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, Jane. The subject of joy in the midst of sorrow is one I ponder daily. I always come back to two quotes: "The deeper that sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain" (Kahlil Gibran) and "Barn's burnt down -- now I can see the moon" (Masahide). Thanks for the reminder.

    Your trip sounds so exciting and I await details (before and aft).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right about taking your trip. My husband died before we ever took our dream vacation and I regret that to this day. Good for you for not waiting too long.
    On another subject - I love the flowers and am inspired to try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane, I'm new to your blog but I love your writing. I can hear your voice as if you were speaking.
    I am pleased you and Steve are going to NZ. Richard lived there about 7 years ago. He always wanted to see NZ and always wanted become a teacher so he combined the two. Attended Christchurch and saw the beautiful country. We have lovely friends there. We must talk before you go!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."